Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Warning! Politics below...

Don't worry, I am not writing anything about United States politics...
This is a little venture from my usual parenting blog entries, but it has been on my mind a lot recently, so I wanted to write about it.
The topic is shul politics.  Unfortunately there has been a lot of damaging and incredibly disturbing politicking going on at our shul the past couple months.  It is not appropriate to go into the details here, but I will go into my thoughts about this whole concept and the reaction I have had.

What is the point of a shul?
A communal opportunity to connect with G-d.  That is it.  That is why the shul exists.  If it were not for G-d, there would not be a shul.  According to the Torah, if it were not for G-d, there would not be anything at all, but that is besides the point...
So how can people allow the shul to become a tool used for such a disruptive battleground, tearing Jews apart rather than bringing them together?

I wrote this poem a couple weeks back, when things were at their worst...

A penny has two sides,
A square has four.
A dodecagon has
so many more.

Amidst the stories,
from all the sides,
Deeply embedded,
a pure truth hides.

An honesty
of heart and soul;
Where judicious peace
is the ultimate goal.

It will never surface
with egos involved,
So the labyrinth
will never be solved.

If people could shed
hatred and vanity,
Then we could find a solution
and stop this insanity.

That pretty much sums it up, but for those of you knowledgeable in the Torah, take a look at this week's Torah portion.  Korach.  What was his biggest flaw?  Why did he desire power?  What happened to him...?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I continue to like you more and more.

    Nice poem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you could send this out as an email to the whole shul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sara! More people could use some "common sense" though it doesn't seem so common.

    ReplyDelete